Are you growing tired of looking and searching endlessly for answers to life’s bigger and deeper questions?
Is the current new age movement making your eyes glaze over because it really doesn’t go deep enough for you anymore?
Have you been searching for a long time now, for spiritual answers, that go to the core of who you are – your soul?
Can you stand comfortably in your stillness?
Are you ready for a shift that takes your centre of power from outside of yourself to inside of yourself?
Are you ready to let your soul emerge and let your ego rest?
Want some profound reading material that will take you to a whole new level of mystical understanding?
The list I have compiled here includes a combination of an ancient text, poetic verse, mystical journeys and creative fiction. I’ve narrowed it down to just 6 books, though there are so many more… these timeless works deserve a special place in the beginners’ path to mysticism.
The mystical journey is one that will take you on a deeper path of soulful connection with the divine and beyond … and these books will help you along that path.
Read on …
1) ‘ Interior Castle’, by St. Teresa of Avila
- A spiritual classic!
- If you are really serious about embarking on a mystical journey to your soul, read this powerful book.
- Written in the 1500’s, this masterpiece is as relevant today as it was when Teresa of Avila wrote it.
- She was a prominent Spanish Mystic, a Carmelite Nun, Roman Catholic Saint and a writer.
- The book describes the seven stages of union with God. Teresa of Avila compares the contemplative life to a castle with seven chambers and traces the soul through each successive chamber.
- A book full of profound reflections on self-knowledge, humility, detachment and suffering. All the ingredients for embarking on a mystical path.
- Mandatory reading for anyone desiring to go much deeper on the path to soulful connections.
- One line of wisdom: “Be gentle to all, and stern with yourself.”
(Interior Castle picture credit)
2) ‘The Essential Rumi’, by Jalaluddin Rumi
- The book is the best selling volume of all of Rumi’s works and has been beautifully translated by Coleman Barks.
- Rumi is a Persian poet acknowledged as being the greatest Sufi mystic of his age. He is also the founder of the brotherhood of the Whirling Dervishes.
- This 13th-century work of art is spiritual poetry at it’s best!
- Includes over 80 never before published poems.
- Every line brings profound meaning to our world even today and its wider meanings reach beyond what we thought we knew about ourselves, others and our world.
- One line wisdom: “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”
(The Essential Rumi picture credit)
3) ‘Entering the Castle of the Soul’, by Caroline Myss.
I have read almost all of Caroline Myss’s books and have followed her for years. This book marks a real shift in her work from a medical intuitive towards an exploration of the mystical path.
- Inspired by the work of Teresa of Avila, Caroline Myss offers clarity on the path to the mystical world.
- This is a book about inner self-knowledge, spiritual knowledge of God and connecting with your soul.
- She refers to the soul as your spiritual castle and how studying the importance of doing soul work helps you to find your path in the world.
- Also, Check out Caroline’s web site that is loaded with online workshops and education plus an archive of recordings to access.www.
- One line wisdom: “the reason you have descended into physical life is to unleash the power of your soul upon Earth.”
(Entering the Castle picture credit)
4) ‘Autobiography of a Yogi,’ by Paramahansa Yogananda,
If you are passionate about the mystical, magical and supernatural you will not only learn from this book but enjoy reading it as well.
- A great introduction to eastern religious thought – the way it had been taught originally. Also a very entertaining read.
- It is an introduction to the ancient science of Yoga and meditation.
- Paramahansa Yogananda chronicles his own fascinating life: the experiences of his remarkable childhood as well as the saints and sages he encountered along the way.
- His early journey found him searching for an illumined teacher, then chronicles his training with a revered yoga master, and then the 30 years he lived and taught in American,
- He is considered to be the person who brought yoga to the western world
- Online wisdom: “The power of unfulfilled desires is the root of all man’s slavery.”
(Autobiography of a Yogi picture credit)
Want more of a poetic path to understanding the soul, and the mystical journey….
5) ‘Astonishing the Gods’, by Ben Okri
This is my #1 favourite book of all time and I keep coming back to it time and again.
- This enchanting tale goes straight to the heart of mysticism.
- Okri uses poetic language to illustrate a mystics journey
- It is rich in metaphors and imaginative prose to tell the story of the search one young man takes to find his soul.
- This is a modern fable of the relationship between love, suffering and creativity.
- This modern fable illustrates how our search for identity is universal and profound and how it affects our perceptions and actions.
- It is a magical, mystical tale of beauty, love and the invisible yet very real world of spirit.
- One line of wisdom: “The law is simple. Every experience is repeated or suffered till you experience it properly and fully the first time.”
(Astonishing the Gods picture credit)
6) ‘The Prophet’, by Khalil Gibran
It took me a long time to be able to understand this profound book which is full of timeless jewels.
- Every line is worthy of deep reflection and can ignite profound awareness.
- I honestly believe that if everyone on earth read this book the world would be a much better place.
- It talks to people at different stages in their life as well as to people from all religions. It is available to anyone whether they are Jewish, Christian or Muslim.
- Made up of 26 prose poems, delivered as sermons by a wise man Calle Al Mustapha, who travels to faraway lands and shares his wisdom to answer life’s big questions on love, family, work and death.
- One line of wisdom: “You talk when you cease to be at peace with your thoughts.”
(The Prophet picture credit)
Want to indulge in a mystical tale of magic and wonder….
6) ‘Mists of Avalon’, by Marion Zimmer Bradley
- Incredible fictional fantasy story steeped in old tradition, and full of amazing characters that empower women and will speak to your inner soul.
- It beautifully depicts an ancient era during King Arthurs time and the story is told by powerful women who welled power from behind the throne.
- The novel is a masterpiece and will take you to a far away mystical land called Avalon where only true believers will see and experience it’s magic fully.
- This novel lives on in my memory many years after having read it. Gripping and unforgettable! Fictional mysticism at it best, or could it be real!?
- One line wisdom: “I have called on the Goddess and found her within myself.”
(The Mists of Avalon picture credit)
There will come a point in your journey to truth where you will grow tired of searching. If you can stand in your stillness long and comfortably enough, you will hear and feel your soul speak. It will lead you to go inward and take a deeper more profound journey to self-knowledge. You will move from ‘I believe’ to ‘I know’ and your path will change forever. That marks the beginning of the mystical path when you stop searching and asking and start … believing.
Here’s to journeys into your soul. May your soul sing and soar as you find your way.
Please comment below if you would like to add any other great books that have brought light to your deepest journey.
I’d love to hear from you!