Want to know six amazing soulful books that are food for the soul and a mix of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and autobiographical?
There is no boring reading here!
Are you growing tired of looking and searching endlessly for answers to life’s more significant and profound questions? Look no further!
I have compiled a list of six books that will truly make your soul sing.
Pull up a comfy chair and a cup of hot chocolate and enjoy!
1) ‘Interior Castle’, by St. Teresa of Avila
- A spiritual classic!
- If you are serious about embarking on a mystical journey to your soul, read this compelling book.
- This book was written in the 1500s; this masterpiece is as relevant today as it was when Teresa of Avila wrote it.
- She was a prominent Spanish Mystic, a Carmelite Nun, Roman Catholic Saint and a writer.
- The book describes the seven stages of union with God. Teresa of Avila compares the contemplative life to a castle with seven chambers and traces the soul through each successive room.
- A book is full of profound reflections on self-knowledge, humility, detachment and suffering—all the ingredients for embarking on a mystical path.
- This book is mandatory reading for anyone desiring to go much more in-depth on the path to soulful connections.
- One line of wisdom: “Be gentle to all, and stern with yourself.”
(Interior Castle picture credit)
2) ‘The Essential Rumi’, by Jalaluddin Rumi
- The book is the best-selling volume of Rumi’s works and has been beautifully translated by Coleman Barks.
- Rumi is a Persian poet acknowledged as being the greatest Sufi mystic of his age. He is also the founder of the brotherhood of the Whirling Dervishes.
- This 13th-century work of art is spiritual poetry at it’s best!
- This book includes over 80 never before published poems.
- Every line brings profound meaning to our world even today, and its broader purposes reach beyond what we thought we knew about ourselves, others and our world.
- One line wisdom: “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”
(The Essential Rumi picture credit)
3) ‘Breaking the Habit of Being You’, by Joe Dispenza
This book changed me forever. You will not be the same person after reading this incredibly insightful book that will help you stop thinking about all your old disempowering thoughts. Some takeaways from the book are;
- You are the thoughts you think
- If you are not in the present moment, your brain is running an old program from the past
- Create a new life for yourself by creating from the present into the future. Create the same life for yourself by creating your future from the past.
- Meditation means be familiar with. Meditate everyday to quiet the mind, get into the present and be familiar with new, more empowering thoughts.
4) ‘Autobiography of a Yogi,’ by Paramahansa Yogananda,
If you are passionate about the mystical, magical and supernatural, you will not only learn from this book but enjoy reading it as well.
- A great introduction to eastern religious thought – the way it had been taught originally—is also a very entertaining read.
- It is an introduction to the ancient science of Yoga and meditation.
- Paramahansa Yogananda chronicles his own fascinating life: the experiences of his remarkable childhood as well as the saints and sages he encountered along the way.
- His early journey found him searching for an illumined teacher, then chronicles his training with a revered yoga master, and then the 30 years he lived and taught in American,
- He is considered to be the person who brought Yoga to the western world.
- Online wisdom: “The power of unfulfilled desires is the root of all man’s slavery.”
(Autobiography of a Yogi picture credit)
Want more of a poetic path to understanding the soul and the mystical journey.
5) ‘Astonishing the Gods’, by Ben Okri
This book is my #1 favourite book of all time. I keep coming back to it time and again.
- This enchanting tale goes straight to the heart of mysticism.
- Okri uses poetic language to illustrate a mystics journey.
- It is rich in metaphors and imaginative prose to tell the story of the search one young man takes to find his soul.
- Astounding the Gods is a modern fable of the relationship between love, suffering and creativity.
- This modern fable illustrates how our search for identity is universal and profound and how it affects our perceptions and actions.
- It is a magical, mystical tale of beauty, love and the invisible yet authentic spirit world.
- One line of wisdom: “The law is simple. Every experience repeats until you experience it properly and fully the first time.”
(Astonishing the Gods picture credit)
6) ‘The Prophet’, by Khalil Gibran
It took me a long time to understand this profound book, which is full of timeless jewels.
- Every line is worthy of deep reflection and can ignite profound awareness.
- I honestly believe that if everyone on earth read this book, the world would be a much better place.
- It talks to people at different stages in their life as well as to people from all religions. It is available to anyone, whether they are Jewish, Christian or Muslim.
- He created 26 prose poems, delivered as sermons by a wise man Calle Al Mustapha, who travels to faraway lands and shares his wisdom to answer life’s big questions on love, family, work and death.
- One line of wisdom: “You talk when you cease to be at peace with your thoughts.”
(The Prophet picture credit)
Want to indulge in a mystical tale of magic and wonder….
6) ‘Mists of Avalon’, by Marion Zimmer Bradley
- Mists of Avalon is an incredible fictional fantasy story steeped in the old tradition and full of amazing characters that empower women and will speak to your inner soul.
- It beautifully depicts an ancient era during King Arthurs’s time and the story of powerful women who welled power from behind the throne.
- The novel is a masterpiece and will take you to a faraway mystical land called Avalon, where only true believers will see and experience its magic entirely.
- This novel lives on in my memory many years after having read it. Gripping and unforgettable! Fictional mysticism at it best, or could it be real!?
- One line wisdom: “I have called on the Goddess and found her within myself.”
(The Mists of Avalon picture credit)
There will come the point in your journey to the truth where you will grow tired of searching. If you can stand in your stillness long and comfortably enough, you will hear and feel your soul speak. It will lead you to go inward and take a deeper, more profound journey to self-knowledge. You will move from ‘I believe’ to ‘I know,’ and your path will change forever. That marks the beginning of the mystical way when you stop searching and asking and start believing.
Here’s to journeys into your soul. May your soul sing and soar as you find your way.
Please comment below if you would like to add any other great books that have brought light to your most profound journey.
I’d love to hear from you!